Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Live Earth - Sydney

Yes, as the title would suggest, I had an amazing weekend. My gorgeous sister Petrina visited and we went along to Live Earth Sydney. It was an amazing day - such a great atmosphere and fantastic acts. Just as a note to everyone who read the articles in the paper and were wondering, I have to recommend that seating is a good way to go for events like the one I attended on Saturday.

The place was packed to the rafters and I have to say it was the biggest concert I've been to in terms of crowd numbers. I think I've been to bigger festivals, but for a one-stage show it was a pretty impressive crowd.

The absolute highlights of the day are very closely tied. John Butler Trio are an old favourite of mine and I've seen them play a few times before, but this was by far the best gig I've seen. They also clearly have the greenie credentials and were really fired up about such an enthusiastic crowd and it really showed.

Seeing Crowded House live was a pretty amazing experience. It was great to see a band I enjoy who I had thought that I would never get to see. The crowd went wild and it sounded like every person there was on their feet and singing along with every word. And they've still got it - they have a real ability to make a connection with the crowd on a really personal level.

Runners up were Missy Higgins, Eskimo Joe and Blue King Brown, who I had never heard of before, but who's CD I will be putting on my birthday list.

Even the weather stayed good for us (which is a big ask given the weather chaos this winter) and all together it was one of those days that you just never want to end.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Jacki,

As promised I've come to look at your site and read about your interesting musings about life. And now that I don't have work tomorrow I actually have the time to muse myself. Anyways the point I want to share is in response to the Live Earth concerts. I have a fundamental issue with the concept of promoting environmental issues through the means of such large scale, waste producing events. I know the organisers were very green re reusable materials, carbon offsetting, etc etc, but I still don't believe that they could possibly offset all the waste caused by consumption - public transport, food & drinks, sewage, blah blah blah. On building awareness though I am sure they scored top points. But how do we measure the effectiveness of this and was it worth the 'cost'? And what was the key message or action item for each person after the concert? Do people really do it?
Please don't think I'm having a go at you, because I'm not! I'm just staying up late and ranting because I can! hehe

Jen
xxx