Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Life through a lens

I love to take photos. I have always been a fan of photos. I took a photography class through Adult Ed years ago and I (briefly) worked in a photo store when I was in high school (turns out I'm not very good at sitting developing other people's photos all day) with thoughts of becoming a famous photographer.
When I lived in South Africa I took heaps of photos - of my friends, of all the places I visited, and quite a lot of landscapes that contain minutes specks that are lions, elephants, zebras and various other wildlife.
I have 2 websites for my photography - this one http://gallery129166.fotopic.net/ has all my general photos on it. My other one is for my photo diary. This is a thing I do every night at 8pm. An alarm on my phone goes off and reminds me to take a photo of whatever I'm doing. I've actually being doing this on and off for a couple of years but have gone online since last year when my fabulous friends gave me a very swish digital camera as a gift for my significantly round-numbered birthday last year and have been able to take decent quality photographs worth publishing. These are here http://hotoiary.fotopic.net/
Recently I found that a couple I took whilst visiting my sister's farm in rural WA actually turned out pretty well and I had them enlarged and properly framed and they now have pride of place on my apartment wall (and are also online here http://gallery129166.fotopic.net/c816241.html if anyone's interested). I have some beach shots that I took a while ago in more modest frames hanging in my bathrooms and I have a couple of my rainforest shots from Mossman Gorge that I'm hoping to do something good with for the bedroom walls.
The thing is, though, is that no matter what sort of an interest you have in something, or how hard you work at it, there's always gonna be someone out there who is just on a different level altogether. My favourite photographer is Peter Lik, and if you enjoy looking at amazing landscape and nature photography, I highly recommend you have a look at his website here:
http://www.peterlik.com.au/flash/default.asp I particularly love the one entitled "ghost" (find it through limited edition photographs--USA collection--35mm horizontal.
So anyway, feel free to skip my sites (although you'll notice I've put my links in first in an effort at shameless self-promotion), but do yourself a favour and check out this guy's' work.

J.

No comments: