Tuesday, August 08, 2006

The beauty that is a Bank Holiday

Bank holiday has got to be the best public holiday around (assuming you work for a bank, that is). I love it. It has all the advantages of a regular public holiday such as:
  • Not having to go to work
  • Being able to sleep in
  • Not having to go to work
  • Doing whatever you want

Plus, it also has added advantages such as:

  • Other people still have to work (am I being smug in yet another post?)
  • Everything is still open (apart from banks, of course)
  • Nothing is closed
  • No public holiday surcharges on menus

What more can a girl ask, really?

So I guess what you're wondering now, is what I actually did with my day off. Even if your not, I'm going to tell you.

  1. I actually didn't get a sleep in. I started my day early thanks to the efforts of an unnamed someone who did have to go to work so thought I should be awake when he woke up.
  2. Lying in bed dozing and watching morning TV until the desire for a cup of tea became all-consuming
  3. Lazy breakfast. Lazy getting ready in my own time.
  4. Picked up by Sandy to go shopping (yep, that's right. All the shops were open!)
  5. Out to Ashfield on a futile mission that I'll have to make a separate post on if I want to avoid going on too much of a tangent in this one.
  6. Back to Sandy's so I could borrow a small suitcase as I'm going to Adelaide overnight tomorrow and I thought my huge suitcase was a bit much. Plus, I managed to kind of bend the pull-out handle on it a bit after falling down an escalator on top of it at Melbourne airport a couple of months ago. Don't ask. (I have issues with escalators - "stairways to doom" I saw them referred to on one of those current affairs shows, and I can well understand why)
  7. Out to lunch at the Nag's Head (http://www.nagshead.com.au) where I had the most divine goat's cheese risotto - and spotted a number of other highly appealing vegetarian options on the menu.
  8. Back to my place for hot chocolate, doonahs and a DVD (and evenpossibly a little bit of napping)
  9. Dinner - I invented a new recipe for low-fat vegetarian shepherd's pie which I have to say turned out pretty damn well.
  10. Off to bed at 8.30 (it had been a hard day!)

Ahh...I love bank holiday.

J.

No comments: