Friday, August 04, 2006

Smug

I read an article in the Sydney Morning Herald a while back about traffic and pedestrian crossings in the Sydney CBD and greater metropolitan area.

Apparently, our style of traffic control is biased towards vehicular traffic, rather than pedestrian traffic, especially during the daytime.

So the upshot of this fascinating piece of trivia, is that (unbeknownst to most Sydney CBD pedestrians) all pedestrian crossings are set to automatic in the Sydney CBD between 7am and 7pm every weekday. To spell it out for you, those pedestrian crossing buttons don’t work!!!

I don’t really know what the worst thing about this is. Do you think it’s the fact that we’re all being quietly deceived? Or the fact that I feel smug and superior whenever I see someone futilely (not sure of the grammar on that, oh well.) pushing one of those buttons when I stopped years ago?

What do you think? Does that make me a bad person?

J.

No comments: