Tuesday, March 06, 2007

The Truth About Cats & Dogs

So, in case you haven't worked it out yet, I'm going on holidays tomorrow. 8 days in Tassie with my partner who's never been.

I'm a bit of a planner and an organiser when it comes to these things. My Partner is not.

So here's how the preparation has gone...

Me:
  • Track down cheap flights and suitable dates, months in advance. Book and advise everyone we need to catch up with of dates well in advance so they'll be free.
  • List clothes and other necessities and plan all laundry to be complete 3 days before. Only wear clothes that aren't coming on the trip for the last 3 days
  • Run down stock of food in the fridge so as to not come back to anything gross and mouldy
  • Call all people we need to see in advance. Organise accommodation for each night and a car to drive around in.
  • Create a colour-coded spreadsheet for our itinerary. Specifically build in flexible arrangements and alternatives so as not to be too regimented
  • Pack 2 nights in advance. List of everyday items that need to be put in at the last minute compiled.
  • Cancel the newspaper subscription.
  • Web check in the day before, with careful selection of seats to allow for my small bladder and my Partner's long legs.
  • Book taxi to get to the airport a day prior to ensure they're free and on time.
  • Stock up on snacks, books, magazines and puzzles for the flight, and ensure all gadgets are charged.
  • The day of the flight - get up, put on pre-selected clothes, leave.

Him:

  • Agree to proposed flights.
  • Refuse to look at itinerary and insist that not everything be planned - even if it means sleeping in a homeless shelter.
  • Start packing the night before.
  • The day of the flight - get up, run around looking for lost socks, shove everything within reach into the bag at the last minute because the taxi's arriving, leave.

Ahhh...fun and games!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This sounds remarkably familiar. I am certain that if I discuss this matter with your significant other he would agree that it is a man’s prerogative to play no role in the organisation of holidays.

Furthermore, I feel it is also our right to wear the same pair of socks, of two different colours, for the entire duration of the holiday. Given we generally pack as we leave for the airport there is no other option really.

I have become accustomed to budgeting a certain amount each trip for what I call ‘Unplanned Required Items’ (UPI for short). This is a bucket of funds that can be used for the purchase of almost anything whilst away, most recently being utilised to buy a beach towel, swimming shorts and a toothbrush. Generally the UPI sundry pool makes up approximately 50% of my overall spending money.

Anonymous said...

This is exactly how our previous trip (ten weeks overseas) worked. I stress about all the arrangements and my 'boy' just follows me and takes advantage of the months of planning and organising... So not fair...