Monday, April 30, 2007

My Grandpa

My Grandpa was
  • As tough as old boots
  • Cheeky
  • Not afraid of anything, as far as I could tell
  • A great storyteller
  • A farmer...for as long as was humanly possible.
  • Old fashioned and sometimes set in his ways
  • Handy
  • Sometimes not very politically correct
  • A slow driver

He could

  • Shear a sheep
  • Take you to the top of a hill and tell you his farm stretched for as far as the eye could see in any direction
  • Catch more fish than anyone else on the fishing trip
  • Cook a pig on a spit. Including building the spit. And raising and butchering the pig.

and he used to say "crikey" a lot, long before Steve Irwin made the phrase popular.

He left us this morning, finally giving up after scaring us dozens of times over a good 15 years. I think most of the family thought he'd just keep on coming back from the brink on us until he outlasted us all.

He'll be missed. By me.

Just so you know, there will be a trip to Adelaide for the funeral, so bear with me this week if posts are a little scarce.

There are two funny ones I was going to write when I got to work, I'll have another go at them when I'm feeling in a funnier mood.

J.

No comments: