Monday, May 07, 2007

Back Again

Hi all,

I'm back again. Back in Sydney and back blogging. Thanks to everyone who's kept checking for updates over the last week, and a particular thank-you to all my friends who have been so supportive and thoughtful.

So I'll give you a brief run-down in this one post, and then I'm going to leave the topic and return you to you regular viewing.

Thanks loads to Sandy and Brian (my Aunt and Uncle - and also my godparents) who, as always, seemed not in the least put out by having their home invaded by herds of marauding family. thanks to my cousin Simon for giving me a bed and dealing with the late-night debriefs.

The funeral was lovely, It really was something that my Grandpa would have loved. The chapel was packed full of people who loved him, some of whom drove all the way from Cummins (the small country town where my grandparents spent most of their 60 years of married life) that morning and were driving back that evening. It's a 6.5 hour drive.

My cousin Simon also did a fantastic job of putting together a photographic insert for the order of service. The photos were amazing - really told the story of his life.

My grandfather was a farmer and a practical, salt-of-the-earth type. Instead of flowers, there was a sheaf of wheat on the coffin, and instead of handfuls of dirt, we sprinkled handfuls of grain. It was a really touching moment and something he would have had enjoyed.

My mum and her sister and brothers delivered a lovely eulogy - not too long but with all the important things included.

I can only hope that one day I go out as loved and well understood.

No comments: