Friday, May 11, 2007

Black Hole Sun

I love trivia. At one point in my life (not too long ago) I even participated in a regular (and quite, successful, I might add) trivia team.

During that time, however, the one thing I learned, was that every successful trivia team needs to have a good spread of people who are good at different topics.

During this time, I came to realise that music trivia is really not my thing. I'm not too bad with top ten hits in Australia 1989-1993 (something to do with being at boarding school and the fact that sneaking downstairs early on a Saturday or Sunday morning to the common rooms to watch Rage was forbidden).

Nonetheless, I am a big fan of SBS's Rockwiz music trivia show. I certainly can't answer too many of the questions, and most of the guests I seem to be ridiculously oblivious of, but I enjoy the format and the show in general.

But what I really love the most about the show, is the very last segment shown. To give you a bit of background; each team has one singer/musician as a contestant. Then right at the end, they get the unlikely pair to sing a duet to an even more unlikely song.

Somehow it always works. No matter how unlikely.

I know that this show normally airs on a Saturday so I'm a little behind. I'd like to defend myself by stating my philosophy of taping everything I like on VCR timer so I watch TV, the shows I enjoy, when I want to. I never miss them and I rarely end up watching things just because they're on.

So anyway, It's Friday night and I'm watching last Saturday's TV. Let's move on.

Last Saturday's Rockwiz had Glen Shorrock, a sentimental favourite (is it too trite to mention the concept of "reminiscing"?) and one of my absolute favourite contemporary singers (Australian of otherwise, she's that amazing) Katie Noonan (if you ever get the opportunity check out the duet she did with Spearhead's Michael Franti for The Panel's soundtrack part 2 - plus if anyone has a copy of Elton John's Yellow Brick Road that George did on Rove a while back please let me know).

Well, at the end, they did the customary duet - would you believe they sang a version of Soundgarden's Black Hole Sun. It was totally sensational. I've just rewound and watched it 4 times in a row and may do a few more times before I head to bed.

If you can get your hands on it, I highly recommend it. Or maybe I'll let you borrow it from me....if you ask real nice and get to me before I tape over it (Gray's anatomy is on Sunday, after all!)

No comments: