Wednesday, July 12, 2006

A rose by any other name

What's in a name?

Everyone's given a couple at birth. They may be shortened or lengthened, or abbreviated, or changed completely. Many women change them shen they marry. Other people can give them to you, but somehow it's not cool to give one to yourself. Although making one up can be acceptable in some situations.

Most people somehow seem to suit their names. Either that or they grow into them.

I personally go by Jacki. My full name is Jacquelyn Marie, but only my grandparents call me that these days (Mum held out for years, but even she's given up!).

For some reason I'm not entirely sure of, Mum occasionally calls me Jacquelyn Marie Theresa Henrietta.

I'm quite often called Jackster/Jaxta - something started by my friend Rossco (also known as Rissko - when he's had a few and gets a bit cheeky, Groover - a long story, and "my boy Ross" - usually proceeded by "not" and referring to what his mum might make of his many and varied shenanigans) many years ago, I believe.

My friend Sandy also has a drinking alter-ego: the ever-charming Shandy.

When I'm receiving unwanted attention I'll go by Agnes. The expressions of people when you introduce yourself by that name are pretty priceless.

A couple of people call me J. The ultimate shortening. I've always particularly liked this one, but as I said above, you really can't influence your nicknames.

The boy calls me a number of odd things. But he kind of does that to everyone. Pretty much everyone he knows has been called Crazy-pants at least once. I get a few too cheeky (or soppy) to put on here, but also get such pearlers as funky-duds, cheeky-chops, Jacksterino, and fluffy-fuzzy-bunny-feet (when I'm wearing my fluffy slippers, of course).

My friend Louise and I used to let our inner children out to play sometimes. They were called Chloe and Molly. They like to Spice Girls and singing into hairbrushes.

When I was in primary school, my dodgy surname lead to quite a lot of nicknames. The less said about those ones the better. I think I'm still traumatised. Although I may have done better than my youger sister and brother who ended up with unusual first names, as well as surnames (I think Mum & Dad ran out of ideas after the first 2 kids). Bronte and Petrina (who you could be mistaken for calling "PetrinawithaP" for the way she has to always introduce herself), your names will always be normal to me...sorry I can't speak for the rest of the planet.

So that's pretty much the history of me and my names (and those of a few of my friends). Does anyone else have any pearlers?

J.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jak,
Nikki Rae Howard
Nikki Rae Bugg
I think this entry muast have been written just for me!! HA HA...
As far as nick names go Nikki has been transformed into many a "Nick Name" get it, get it???
My main one is Bozo - this is what all my family call me, it was started after a character in a book i loved as a child was named bozo (it was a talking tractor?).
My school friends call me Nicoli Gorbachov or Frandika and Im at a loss as to how either started and now a few choice friends call me Knickers. NICE ONE!
Rae - well who knows where my parents got this one from. My mum can't even rememeber. My sister thinks she picked it out - she was 10 at the time. As a child I hated it! It not really that bad now in comparison to the name change I went through last month...
I have been a Howard for 25.5 years, a very inconspicuous name, it blends in, making a booking or reservation under the name of Howard does not create smirks of any kind and the worst joke that could be made about the name Howard was - "Are you related to John Howard" to which both my sisters and I would reply that he is our Dad's Uncle.
I'm now the new Mrs Nikki Bugg, and I still don't really know how I feel about that. (not the marriage part, just the name that goes with it.) I get all sorts of comments and the best was when i was pregnant with 'baby bug' and my so called friends were quite happy to make name suggestions such as: Lady, Dee, Scatter, Jitter. All very funny of course WHEN ITS NOT YOUR OWN SURNAME! I'm sure I will get used to it and be able to say Nikki Bugg loud and proud but until then I'm still living in denial as I change my name "officially" very very very slowly.
Nikki Rae Bugg